The setting up of the UP College of Science Satellite Libraries was initially conceived by then CS Dean Caesar Saloma during the start of the 3-year co terminus-term of cslib head librarian, Mrs. Jocelyn Razal in 2007. Actual setup of the physical satellite libraries, however, only took place starting April 2011 during the term of current CSLIB head librarian, Mrs. Marie Antoinette Villaflor. This was also timely since it was during this time when most of the CS Institutes’ have been given new buildings in the National Science Complex, thus spaces were allocated for the physical Satellite Libraries for each Institute. Mrs. Susannah V. Deasis was assigned as the Librarian-In-Charge of the Satellite Libraries.
The first to be set up was the NIP Library (National Institute of Physics) in April 2011. This was followed by the IM Library (Institute of Mathematics) in April 2012, the IC Library (Institute of Chemistry) in June 2012, the NIMBB Library (National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology) in November 2012, the IESM Library (Institute of Environmental Science and Meteorology) in August 2013 and finally the IB Library (Institute of Biology) in Spetember 2015.
MISSION, VISION, GOALS
The UP CS Satellite Libraries operates under the College of Science Library (CSLIB), which in turn operates under the UP Diliman College of Science (CS). CS was declared The National Science Complex by former Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on December 8, 2006 through Executive Order No. 583. As The National Science Complex, CS Institutes are mandated to serve as “the national hub for the generation and application of new scientific knowledge in the natural and applied sciences and mathematics” (Padilla-Concepcion). CS Institutes are also expected to be or continue to be centers of excellence in science education, reseach and development that will benefit not only the UP System but also all Philippine universities and ultimately the entire country.
Aside from operating under the National Science Complex, CSLIB and its Satellite Libraries also serve under UP’s mandate of being the National University of the Philippines. Under its Charter of 2008 (RA 8500), UP is tasked to:
- Perform its unique and distinctive leadership in higher education and development
- Lead in setting academic standards and initiating innovations in teaching, research, and faculty development
- Provide opportunities for training and learning in leadership
- Serve as a graduate university providing advanced studies
- Serve as a research university in various fields
- Lead as a public service university for the government, the private sector and civil society.
- Serve as a regional and global university in the Asia Pacific Region and around the world (UP Strategic Plan 2011-2017)
Having stated the operational background of CS Satellite Libraries, following are therefore their mission statement.
- To provide top-notch science library resources and services in support of the College’s mandate of generating new scientific knowledge, CS being the country’s declared National Science Complex.
- To provide top-notch library administrative support and services in helping the CS community achieve its tripartite goal of excellence in science teaching, research, and extension services.
- To provide top-notch science library resources and services mainly to the CS community (faculty, students, researchers/staff), and generally to the UP community and the general public, UP being the National University of the country.
- To be a world-class network of science satellite libraries comparable with others abroad.
- Borrowing of Books-Circulation Type:Three-Day Book
- Individual and Group Reading Area
- Internet Stations-First Come First Serve Basis
- FREE Battery Charging Stations
- Document delivery
- Printing (B&W and Colored)
- FREE Wi-fi
- ABCD – In-House Database for the College of Science Library
- MS Access eBook Database
- Online Journal Databases and Ebooks via http://www.mainlib.upd.edu.ph/?q=online-subscriptions and http://cslib.upd.edu.ph/index.php/read-more-links
- Current Awareness Services-What’s New via Facebook